THE CAVALRY (1)
No. 4. 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards
Trooper: Training dress
Trumpeter: No. 1 Dress
Background: Cardiff Castle
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson
Postcard No. 04 1st THE QUEEN'S DRAGOON GUARDS
The regiment was formed in 1959 by the amalgamation of the 1st King's
Dragoon Guards and the Queen's Bay's (2nd Dragoon Guards). Both former
regiments had been raised in 1685 and were the two senior cavalry
regiments of the line.
The long-sleeved training top worn by the Trooper has a draw string hood
and a wide winged version of the Regimental Badge printed in white on the
front. Disruptive pattern trousers are worn with combat boots. This form
of dress is used principally for fitness training. The individual weapon
for armoured personal the Small Arms 80 (SA80) is fitted with an iron
rather than an optical sight.
The dark blue forage cap worn by the Trumpeter in No 1 Dress has a blue
velvet band and piping and regimental cap badge. The tunic has flapped
breast and side pockets. The steel shoulder chains are a feature of
cavalry undress. Aiguillettes of plaited gold cord with points were
sanctioned for bandsmen of Dragoon Guards and Dragoons in 1925 are worn on
the left shoulder and looped to the top button. The silver signal trumpet
has, for ceremonial use, a dark blue banner fringed in gold displaying the
Austro-Hungarian Eagle embroidered in heraldic colours. The Emperor Franz
Joseph was Colonel-in-Chief of the King's Dragoon Guards from 1896 until
1914, when use of the Eagle was discontinued. It was adopted again in 1938
and appears in a clipped or wide winged design according to use and
The Regiment's Home Headquarters are in Maindy Barracks, Cardiff and the
Regimental Museum is situated in Cardiff Castle.
Copyright © 1990 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server