THE CAVALRY (1)
No. 6. 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards
Captain: Mess Dress
Corporal: Tank Dress
Background: Cliffords Tower, York
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson
Postcard No. 6 4th/7th ROYAL DRAGOON GUARDS
The regiment was formed in the 1922 cavalry amalgamations from the 4th
Royal Irish Dragoon Guards and the 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal's).
The former was raised in 1685 as the Earl of Arran's Cuirassiers for
service under King James II. The 7th Dragoon Guards were raised as the
Earl of Devonshire's regiment of Horse in 1688 for service under William
The officers' undress side hat worn with Mess Dress has a red top with
blue "slash" and blue sides all edged in gold Russia braid and
with embroidered wire badge. The use of the undress stable jacket for wear
in the mess gained general acceptance about 1860. The custom arose in
India. The present mess jacket is scarlet with blue velvet collar and
cuffs edged with gold lace. The waistcoat is dark blue, with a stand
collar. The overalls are blue with a 2" gold stripe and are worn over
mess Wellingtons with silver chased spurs.
The Corporal wears a standard tank crewman's helmet which incorporates two
ear pieces and a microphone to allow continuous communications. On his
chest hangs his commanders' personal unit which is connected to the tank
radio sets. A selector switch allows him to communicate on either of the
two frequencies or internally with the other crewmen. The expensive
general purpose binoculars have a large depth of field which eliminates
the need for focusing. Olive green overalls are worn. His personal weapon
is the 9mm Sterling sub-machine gun.
Cliffords Tower, an early defence on the River Ouse is opposite the Home
Headquarters and Regimental Museum in York.
Copyright © 1990 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server