THE CAVALRY (2)
No. 7. 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Chieftain on Parade with Regimental Standard
Corporal: No. 1 Dress.
Background: The Watergate, Enniskillen Castle.
From a watercolour painting by Christopher A. Collins.
Postcard No. 7 5th ROYAL INNISKILLING DRAGOON GUARDS
The 5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) Dragoon Guards and The 6th
Inniskilling Dragoons were amalgamated in 1922 taking the tile of 5th/6th
Dragoons until 1927 when the Regiment became the 5th Inniskilling Dragoon
Guards. In 1935, the title was once again changed when the honour 'Royal'
was conferred. The 5th Dragoon Guards were raised in 1685 as Shrewsbury
Horse, being named after the Earl who commanded the regiment in support of
James II. When William of Orange landed at Torbay, the Cavalry Regiments
withdrew allegiance to King James, who fled to France and William Ascended
tot he throne. In 1689 James landed in Ireland. The towns of Carrickfergus,
Derry and Enniskillen were besieged. The town of Enniskillen raised three
regiments from Protestants who had taken refuge there. One of these later
became the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons.
The figure on the left in the Chieftain holding the Regimental Standard is
a Squadron Sergeant Major. The standard shown was presented to the
Regiment to celebrate its tercentenary in 1985. The White Horse of Hanover
which is included on it first appeared in 1744. The figure on the right
with the sword is the regimental Sergeant Major.
The regimental facings of green and primrose date back to 1744 when the
5th Dragoon guards adopted 'Green' and Inniskillings chose 'Primrose'.
These are still worn and can be seen in the Corporal's green No. 1 Dress
cap with its primrose band and also in his green trousers. His cap badge
has a green backing.
The watergate at Enniskillen Castle is shown in the background. This
houses a display of Regimental property.
Copyright © 1992 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server