THE CAVALRY (1)
No. 12. 13th/18th Royal Hussars
Duty Trumpeter: No. 1 Dress
Mounted Trooper: Full Dress
Background: Parade Scene with Guidon
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson
Postcard No. 12 13th/18thROYAL HUSSARS (QUEEN MARY'S
The Regiment was formed in the 1922 cavalry reduction by the
amalgamation of the 13th Hussars and the 18th Hussars (Queen Mary's Own).
The 13th were raised as Munden's Dragoons in 1715 and converted to Hussars
in 1861. The 18th were raised in 1759 by the Marquis of Drogheda as Light
Horse and became the 18th Hussars in 1805. Disbanded in 1822 a new 18th
raised in Leeds in 1858 was permitted to revive the Honours of the old.
The title "Queen Mary's Own" (QMO) was conferred in 1910.
The Duty Trumpeter's forage cap is dark blue with a distinctive white top
which perpetuates the facings of the 13th Hussars and their old nickname
'The Lilywhites'. The regulation No. 1 Dress jacket has white gorget
patches and steel shoulder chains. The lyre badge of a bandsman is worn on
the upper right sleeve with the QMO badge and crossed trumpets on the
lower sleeve. Strapped overalls and spurs are worn. The silver E flat
cavalry trumpet is carried on cords royal of mixed red, yellow and blue
The Mounted Trooper Full Dress. His busby is of black dyed sealskin.
Across the chest of his dark blue tunic are six bars of double yellow
worsted cord. As with the trumpeter overalls and spurs are worn. Horse
furniture consists of the colonial pattern saddle and bridle, head rope,
martingale and breastplate. A black lambskin covers the wallets in the
front of the saddle. The regimental pattern saddlecloth with badge in the
rear corner is worn.
The background shows the Guidon carried on parade.
Copyright © 1990 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server