THE SUPPORT ARMS AND SERVICES (1)
No. 19. Corps of Royal Engineers
Sapper: Combat Dress (Mine Detecting).
Bandsman: Full Dress.
Background: Brompton Barracks, Chatham.
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson.
Postcard No. 19 CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS
The story of the Sappers covers over 900 years of crowded history. The
Military Engineers of Norman times were hand picked by the Monarch for
their professionalism and held appointments by Royal Patent. In 1415 Henry
V raised and "Office of Ordnance" with a permanent establishment
of engineer and gunner officers. The title Royal Sappers and Miners came
into use in 1813. Today's title of the Corps of Royal Engineers dates from
1856. over the years the growth of the Corp's responsibilities in such
fields as aviation, transportation and signalling has led to the formation
of separate arms.
The Sapper in combat dress is equipped for mine detecting. He is shown
using the No. 4C Mine Detector which has been in service for may years and
which can detect metal objects down to about 2 feet. Anti-blast goggles
The Regimental band was formed about 1856 and wore an ornate uniform with
a bearskin cap of Foot Guards pattern. This was last worn in 1936 and the
present headdress is the busby. It is of black sealskin with a Garter blue
bag and white horsehair plume held in a brass grenade socket. The B flat
silver fanfare trumpet carries a banner in the regimental colours with RE
Cypher and crown in gold with the Corps Mottoes "Ubique"
(Everywhere) and "Quo Fas et Gloria Ducant" (Where Right and
Glory Lead) in gold on Garter blue scrolls.
In the background is the Crimean Memorial Arch at Brompton Barracks,
Chatham. in which barracks is also located the Royal School of Military
Engineering, Regimental Headquarters Royal Engineers and the Royal
Copyright © 1987 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server