THE QUEEN'S GUARDS
No. 25. Welsh Guards
Guardsman: Combat Dress, Patrol Order.
Drummer: Full Dress.
Background: Buckingham Palace.
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson.
Postcard No. 25 WELSH GUARDS
The opportunity to have the Foot Guards associated with each of the
countries of the United Kingdom occurred in 1915 when George V ordered the
formation of a regiment of Welsh Guards. Transfers from the other
regiments made it possible for the 1st Bn. to mount guard at Buckingham
Palace only three days later.
The Guardsman is shown wearing Combat Dress with patrol order. The beret
is khaki and the leek badge is embroidered in khaki worsted thread. The
Self-Loading Rifle is carried as on internal security operations with the
sling attached at the butt swivel only and thence to the right wrist.
The Welsh Guard's bearskin plume is white/green/white and for other ranks
is of horse hair, 6 inches high and worn on the left. The tunic is
regimentally distinguished by having buttons in fives on the front. The
drums have a special significance in regimental lore and it has long been
customary for the drummer's special status to be indicated by elaborate
embellishments on their clothing. Consequently, the Full Dress tunics of
drummers of the Guards are decorated in a traditional manner with white
lace with a repeating pattern of blue fleur-de-lys. The waist belt
supports a narrow apron which is secured around the left leg above the
knee. The Guard's pattern drum is an adaptation of the old blue tension
pattern having wooden hoops and a painted metal shell fitted with plated
metal tension rods.
Buckingham Palace is amongst the Royal palaces and residences guarded
daily by the Household Division. The famous facade is shown here with the
impressive Victoria Memorial before it.
Copyright © 1986 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server