BRITISH INFANTRY REGIMENTS (1)
No. 33. The Light Infantry
Bugler: No. 1 Dress
Major: No. 2 Dress (Ceremonial)
Background: Durham Cathedral
From a watercolour painting by William R. Younghusband.
Postcard No. 33 THE LIGHT INFANTRY
On 10th July 1968 the four County Light Infantry regiments of Somerset
and Cornwall, Yorkshire, Shropshire and Durham were amalgamated to form
The Light Infantry. The Regiment's origins stretch back to the North
American Wars of the 1750's when some regiments were trained as light
infantry to scout and skirmish. In 1803 Major General Sir John Moore
formed the Light Brigade at Shorncliffe. He exchanged the soldiers bright
uniforms for camouflaged ones and encouraged self confidence and
initiative. The drum was replaced by a bugle as a means of conveying
orders on the battle field and is still used today to sound daily routine
calls. To show their agility and speed Light Infantry Battalions march at
140 paces to the minute and on ceremonial occasions 'double march'.
The bugler in No. 1 Dress wears a sealskin cap. The plume is 7 inches in
length and is of double brush green horsehair. The jacket is Light
Infantry green as is the stripe on the side of the No. 1 Dress trousers.
The bugle lines, dress cords and wings are of green and silver.
The Light Infantry green forage cap of the Major in his Ceremonial Service
Dress has a black oak leaf band and black leather chin strap. The cap
badge has a red backing. As a field officer the peak of his cap his
adorned with silver braid. The material of the uniform is drab barathea.
His sword is being worn at the "short trail" position.
Durham Cathedral is in the background with two Warrant Officers standing
in front of it. Traditionally the red sash is worn over the left shoulder.
Copyright © 1991 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server