BRITISH INFANTRY REGIMENTS (1)
No. 46. The Royal Hampshire Regiment
Bass Drummer: Full Dress
Assault Pioneer Platoon Sergeant: Ceremonial Dress
Background: Serle's House, Winchester
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson.
Postcard No. 46 THE ROYAL HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT
The Regiment was raised in 1702 as 'Meredith's Regiment' and in 1751
redesignated the 37th regiment of Foot. In 1758 the 2nd Battalion, 20th
Regiment became the 67th Regiment. In 1881 the Regiments were united as
the Hampshire Regiment. In 1946, in recognition of outstanding service
King George VI approved that the Regiment should enjoy the distinction of
The Lance Corporal is from the battalion's Corp's of Drums, as is shown by
the drum above the lance corporal chevron, and the crown lace worn on the
collar and wings of the scarlet tunic. The single bass drum is the master
drum and from its beat, as directed by the baton of the Bandmaster, or the
staff of the Drum Major, the music and drill movements or marching tempo
On ceremonial parades the Assault Pioneer platoon's link with the past is
shown by its representative wearing a white apron and carrying a
ceremonial axe. The Sergeant is the only member of the battalion who is
authorised (and expected!) to wear a beard. In 1768 the principal roles of
the 'Pioneers' were the clearing and mending of roads. Tools used were
axes, hatchets and spades. A brown leather apron was worn and a flintlock
carried. Today's assault pioneers are highly trained specialists whose
skills cover laying and lifting mines, laying and neutralising booby
traps, demolition, construction of field defences, creation of obstacles,
watermanship and water supply.
The Regimental Headquarters in Winchester is located in Serle's House,
which is a Georgian building C1732. The Regimental Museum is to be found
on the ground floor.
Copyright © 1991 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server