THE SCOTTISH REGIMENTS
No. 52 The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 91st (Princess Louise's)
Argyllshire Highlanders and the 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of
Drummer: No. 1 Dress.
Captain: Working Dress (Shirt Sleeve Order).
Background: Stirling Castle.
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson.
Postcard No. 52 ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
The present Regiment was formed in the reorganisation of 1881 by the
amalgamation of the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders and the 93rd Sutherland
Highlanders. The 91st as raised in 1794 and became "Princess
Louise's" in 1872. The 93rd was raised in 1799 and later achieved
immortality as "The thin Red Line". An Extraordinary episode
occurred in 1968 when a proposal to disband the Regiment encountered such
vigorous public opposition in Scotland that it was allowed to survive.
The feather bonnet worn by the Drummer in No. 1 Dress has red/white
dicing, six "fish-tails" and the tip of the hackle is fastened
over the top of the bonnet in the old manner. The Archer green doublet has
white loops and piping. A brass-mounted copper regulation duty bugle is
carried. The kilt is in Government tartan in a slightly larger sett and
with brighter green than for the Black Watch. A fly plaid hangs behind the
left shoulder. The sporran is pushed to the left rear to clear the drum.
His tops (footless stockings) are worn with spats and shoes.
The Captain in shirt sleeve order wears the officer's distinctive grey
shirt. His kilt has a decorative panel on the apron. The '37 pattern web
belt has its rear buckles removed. Lovat stockings with red garter flashes
are worn with Highland brogues. A sgian dubh is worn. The cromag (Gaelic
for a shepherd's crook) is popular with Highland officers and carried on
Stirling Castle is the home of the Regiment and houses the Regimental
Headquarters and Museum.
Copyright © 1995 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server