THE BRIGADE OF GURKHAS
No. 59. Queen's Gurkha Signals
Pipe Major: No. 3 Dress.
Signalman: Combat Dress.
Background: New Territories, Hong Kong.
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson.
Postcard No. 59 THE QUEEN'S GURKHA SIGNALS
Following the 1947 partition of India four regiments of Gurkha infantry
were transferred to service with the British Army to become in January
1948 The Brigade of Gurkhas. In the same year a Signal Squadron was
raised. A new badge was formally presented in 23rd September 1954 and this
date became thereafter the Regimental birthday.
The Pipe Major is in No. 3 Dress. in Gurkha tradition the Regiment raised
a band of Pipes and Drums in 1955 adopting the tartan and fittings of the
51st Highland Division Signal Regiment. The Kilmarnock cap is black with
blue tourie and Regimental badge. Badges of rank and appointment are worn
on the right forearm of the white tunic. The scarf plaid, pipe ribbons and
bag are of Grant tartan. The black baldrick is decorated with an officer's
pouch belt badge. The waist belt supports the kukri. The No. 1 Dress
trousers are dark blue with a 2" scarlet stripe. Highland pattern
brogues are worn with white gaiters. The Royal Pipe Banner carries the
Regimental badge embroidered on a scarlet ground on the obverse.
The Signalman in Tropical Combat Dress (No. 9 Dress) wears a blue beret
with Regimental badge. The blouse and trousers are in lightweight DPM
material. The kukri is carried behind the left pouch. The other personal
weapon carried is the SA80 rifle. The signaller is shown using a ground
operated PRC 320 Clansman Radio. He has a headset with microphone and is
transmitting from a Morse key box.
The background shows the typically rugged terrain of Hong Kong's New
Territories bordered by mainland China.
Copyright © 1995 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server