THE SUPPORT ARMS AND SERVICES (2)
No. 66. Royal Army Medical Corps
Combat Medial Technician: Combat Dress
Background: Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot
From a watercolour painting by Douglas N. Anderson
Postcard No. 66 ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS
In the one hundred and fifty years following the establishment of the
Standing Army, medical services and hospitals were primitive, minimal and
organised only at regimental level. It was only after the Peninsular Wars
and Waterloo that radical changes took place. In 1855, inadequacies
highlighted by the conditions in the Crimea, were improved and a Medical
Staff Corps was formed of members specially trained in ambulance and
hospital duties. Meanwhile, the Army Medical Department, to which all
commissioned apothecaries and regimental surgeons belonged, was also
undergoing essential reorganisation and improvement. Finally in 1898 both
branches were unified under one command of fully trained officers and men
under the title of the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC).
Approximately one seventh of the total establishment of the Corps is
officers a large majority of whom are qualified officers. The Hospital
Consultant illustrated wears khaki service dress with a white coat
replacing the tunic. The coat has three patch pockets and is shown with
typical accessories being a name tag on the left breast, a pager hooked to
the top pocket which also contains a clinical torch, and a stethoscope
worn hanging from the neck.
The Lance Corporal is a member of 23 Parachute Field Ambulance and wears a
maroon beret with the RANC badge. On his parachutist's smock he wears
qualification wings, drop zone identification patch and rank insignia all
on the right sleeve with a Red Cross brassard on the left. He is armed for
defensive purposes only, with a 9mm sub-machine gun slung over the
The background shows the Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot which
closed in 1996.
Copyright © 1991 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server