THE SUPPORT ARMS AND SERVICES (3)
No. 74. Royal Army Educational Corps
Major: Mess Dress
Lieutenant: Barrack Dress (Shirt Sleeve Order)
Background: Eltham Palace, London
From a watercolour painting by William R. Younghusband.
Postcard No. 74 ROYAL ARMY EDUCATIONAL CORPS
The origins of army education go back at least to the reign of Charles
II. In 1662 the officer commanding Fort George asked for a school master,
and in 1685 the garrison of Tangier enjoyed the services of free
There has been a separate Corps devoted to the affairs of education in the
army since 1846 when the Corps of Army Schoolmasters was formed. It was
headed initially by the Chaplain General of the day. This Corps was
replaced by the Army Educational Corps on 15th June 1920. The Corps was
honoured by becoming the Royal Army Educational Corps (RAEC) on 28th
November 1946. The RAEC became an all officer Corps in 1963.
The officer's mess dress is in dark blue - Oxford Blue, with light blue
facings. This light blue was from 1920 - 1946 described as 'Cambridge
Blue' (which it is not). In 1950 it was decided to change the name of the
colour to Minerva Blue, after the Goddess of Wisdom. As a major he has
gold trim around the front peak of his No. 1 dress hat.
The Lieutenant is in shirt sleeve order Barrack Dress. He wears the light
officer's pattern shirt with sleeves turned up. His stable belt is light
and dark blue, as is his lanyard. The belt has a silver coloured clasp.
There is a thin gold piping between the two shades of blue on his side
hat. His trousers are dark barrack green.
Eltham Palace was the headquarters of the Corps.
Copyright © 1992 Published by Geoff White Ltd.
Ordering / Secure Server